What happens when you cannot make your Chapter 13 Bankruptcy payments to the Portland or Vancouver Trustee due to one time only expense or unanticipated bill?  What do you do when, say, a car breaks down, your heating goes out, or when you or your spouse miss work due to a temporary illness or injury?

The fact is that you have multiple options.  None of them involve keeping the unexpected loss or income or secret from your Vancouver or Portland Bankruptcy Attorney.

You can ask for a suspension of payments and catch up by adding months to the end of your plan if your original plan was for less than 60 months. If you are in a 60 month plan, you can increase some or all of the remaining payments.  Under certain circumstances, you can modify your plan to reduce the dividend to the unsecured creditors or give up a now-broken car that was being paid off under your plan.  Often if there has been a job loss, you can convert to a Chapter 7 bankruptcy.

Each of the above options has benefits and drawbacks.  The point is that you have options so don’t keep a secret from your Vancouver or Portland Chapter 13 Bankruptcy attorney.  If you do keep secrets, there will likely be a motion to dismiss or motion for relief from stay to commence foreclosure soon enough and the challenge of coming up with a solution will be more challenging and expensive than if you had said something when the troubles began.Portland, Hillsboro, Beaverton, Tigard, Gresham, Lake Oswego, Tualatin, Oregon City, Wilsonville, Aloha, West Linn, Camas, Vancouver, Ridgefield, Troutdale, Gladstone, Multnomah County, Clackamas County, Washington County, Chehalis, long view, la center, Columbia County and Clark County.

Share this Article

Related Posts

Ask us a Question

(503) 487-8973


Message and data rates may apply

Message frequency varies. Text STOP to cancel

Terms of Services | Privacy Policy