Nearly all pending domestic relations proceedings continue on after a bankruptcy petition has been filed. While a bankruptcy filing will stop a normal collections action in its tracks, the automatic stay does not freeze a divorce or custody proceeding. Domestic relations proceedings that continue on after the filing of a bankruptcy include the following:
- Proceedings regarding child support and alimony;
- custody and visitation proceedings;
- support modification proceedings;
- domestic violence proceedings;
- the withholding of income to collect child support; and
- restring of suspending drivers’ licenses to collect backdue child support.